What size trowel should I use?
Picking the right trowel for your project is important. As a rule of thumb the bigger the tile is, the bigger the trowel needs to be. The right trowel avoids air pockets and helps ensure your installation is done correctly when paired with the right mortar for your project. Click here to view our selection of trowels and grout floats. If there are further questions, be sure to ask associates in your local store or contact our Customer Care Center.
- U Notch (3/4 x 9/16 x 3/8 Notches): For use with tiles 12” x 12” & larger with medium bed mortar
- Square Notch (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 Notches): For use with tiles 12” x 12” & larger with medium bed mortar
- Square Notch (1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 Notches): For tiles 12” x 12” & smaller with thin set mortar
- V Notch (1/4 x 3/16 Notches): For underlayment, backerboard, and mosaics up to 4 1/2”
- Straight Edge: For skim coating and smooth surfaces